Congratulations to Justin Maki, who has answered these questions correctly and won a year's subscription to The Missouri Review! (Correct answers are below.)
1. Name the movie in which television writer Ben Clifton (Patrick Swayze) purchases a copy of Best American Short Stories 1984 from a bookseller who asks him, “Hey, are you a writer?” and Ben holds up the book and says, “I have a story here, first published in The Missouri Review. First time in print.”
b) Dirty Dancing
c) Forever Lulu
2. Name the author whose first published story “Astronaut” won The Missouri Review’s Peden Prize in 1989 and inspired his best-selling novel She’s Come Undone.
a) Jonathan Franzen
b) Wally Lamb
c) David Foster Wallace
3. Name the famous Hollywood producer and incurable graphomaniac whose memos on the production of Gone with the Wind, Rebecca, and Farwell to Arms appeared in The Missouri Review as a “Found Text” feature.
a) David O. Selznick
b) Jerry Bruckheimer
c) Frank Marshall
4. How many times a year is The Missouri Review published?
5. Name the famous western writer whose private letters panning four decades were published in The Missouri Review’s “Found Text” series in 1995.
a) Larry McMurtry
b) Zane Grey
c) Louis L'Amour
Correct answers: 1, c; 2, b; 3, a; 4, c; 5, b.
Aside from being a lit mag expert, Justin Maki is a writer from Denver, Colorado. He lived in Osaka, Japan for four years as an English teacher and recently started working for Kyodo News Agency in New York. He lives in Brooklyn.