Congratulations to Timothy Otte who has correctly answered these questions and won a year's subscription to Granta! (Answers below.)
1. Where does Granta gets its name?
a) The original name for the river Cam
b) A developed area of Yellowstone National Park (Grant Village)
c) Jeremiah C. Granta, a famous British poet
2. Which Indian author had their first-ever story published in Granta 3: The End of the English Novel?
a) Arundhati Roy
b) Salman Rushdie
c) Jhumpa Lahiri
3. Which of the following is not an edition of Granta:
b) The Womanizer
c) The Rolling Stones
4. What was Granta originally published as before it became the book-format magazine of new writing we know today?
a) A zine in Oxford
b) The official literary pamphlet of Parliament
c) The student magazine of the University of Cambridge
5. Which Granta Best of Young Novelist found two British pounds and used them to buy his first issue of Granta?
a) Kazuo Ishiguro
b) Esther Freud
c) Julian Barnes
d) Rose Tremain
Hint: In 2008, The Times ranked this writer 32nd on their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".
Correct answers: 1,a; 2,b; 3,d; 4,c; 5,a.
In addition to being a lit mag maven Timothy Otte is a 4th generation Twin Cities, Minnesota resident. Timothy spends his days working in the tea industry, other parts of his days writing poems and plays, and his evenings drinking tea and whiskey (usually while writing poems and plays).