Congratulations to Alexandra Quintanilla who won a year's subscription to Ploughshares! (The answers to this contest are below.)
1. This guest editor of Ploughsares introduced his issue with an essay called "Strictly in the interests of plausibility." Who is the guest editor?
a) Cormac McCarthy
b) Russell Banks
c) Jim Harrison
2. Ploughshares was originally founded at a bar in Cambridge, MA. Which bar was it?
a) Plough & Stars
b) The People's Republik
c) Grendel's Den
3. This married writer duo served as guest editors of Ploughshares at different times (he in 1983, she in 1986). Who are they?
a) Sylvia Plath and Ted Hughes
b) Simone de Beauvoir and Jean Paul Sartre
c) Tess Gallagher and Raymond Carver
4. What is the reason for the journal's guest editor policy?
a) The original founders did not live in the U.S.
b) Financial constraints prohibited the hiring of a single editor.
c) The original founders came from diverse backgrounds and wanted a single editor to act as an arbiter of taste among them.
5. This Ploughshares advisory editor has written a piece for The Review Review in which he talks about receiving death threats and hate mail during his time as Ploughshares editor. Who is it?
a) Sherman Alexie
b) Don Lee
c) Madison Smartt Bell
Correct answers: 1,b; 2,a; 3,c; 4,c; 5,b.
About our winner: Aside from being a Lit Mag Trivia Expert, born and raised in Texas, Alexandra Quintanilla earned a B.A. from Rice University and is currently teaching English in rural Western Spain.